Darkness

Seeing the dark so vividly
Like a plague in the night, death comes
And hovers over my head
Dread, terror, it places in me
And I try so very hard not to dream

Blood covers me, I see it so clearly
And my hands are covered in black
Their deaths on my hands still
After so many years of denying it fiercely
Their spirits hang heavily over me

I hear it, so loudly, the voice of a banshee
Tearing through the night with the sound of distress
Bitterness and anger on lips of the dead
And I cry out in fear "Have pity!"
But they have no sympathy left for me

They fly around me with silent fury
Lashing out at my body with strong harsh blows
Cutting me, bruising me, piercing my skin
With the strength of a thousand infantry
Shooting silvery bullets aimed for killing

Demons eat at my soul wickedly
And I scream so loud it shakes the walls
They shake with a tremor so very large
That they fall and crumble in upon me
Crushing me beneath them finally

As the light fades from my world slowly
The devil comes to collect my soul,
And the world fades from light to dark
And everything grows so very cold to me
I try so hard to reason with him and to plea

But he refuses to spare me tersely
And sweeps upon me with such hatred and loathing
That pain laces through my body in waves
Each stronger than the other as death takes me
And I awake in a terror, still screaming

Sweat pouring from me and my mind racing
My head unable to comprehend I'm still alive
And every time I close my eyes I see the devil's scythe
Coming from the dark to destroy me with a burning finality

With the lights on I sit and stare out vigilantly
Fighting the urge to fall back into a restless sleep
And return to the world of darkness
That threatens to overwhelm me with its fury
And destroy me every time I start to dream

No comments:

Post a Comment